-->
-->

Desert Plants in Iran

Helpful information about deserts in Iran like name, introduction, maps, requirements and...

Desert Plants in Iran

Postby Shahram » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Haloxylon:
Distribution
The genus Haloxylon is distributed in southwest and Central Asia, from Egypt to China (Mongolia,[clarification needed] Sinkiang, and Kansu), where it grows in sandy habitats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haloxylon

Shahram
Site Admin

Re: Desert Plants in Iran

Postby Shahram » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Tamarix:
The genus Tamarix (tamarisk, salt cedar) is composed of about 50–60 species of flowering plants in the family Tamaricaceae, native to drier areas of Eurasia and Africa.The generic name originated in Latin and may have referred to the Tamaris River in Hispania Tarraconensis (Spain).

Description

They are evergreen or deciduous shrubs or trees growing to 1–18 m in height and forming dense thickets. The largest, Tamarix aphylla, is an evergreen tree that can grow to 18 m tall. They usually grow on saline soils, tolerating up to 15,000 ppm soluble salt and can also tolerate alkali conditions.

Tamarisks are characterized by slender branches and grey-green foliage. The bark of young branches is smooth and reddish-brown. As the plants age, the bark becomes bluish-purple, ridged and furrowed. The leaves are scale-like, 1–2 mm long, and overlap each other along the stem. They are often encrusted with salt secretions. The pink to white flowers appear in dense masses on 5–10 cm long spikes at branch tips from March to September, though some species (e.g. T. aphylla) tend to flower during the winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarix

Shahram
Site Admin

Postby Shahram » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Shahram
Site Admin

Postby Shahram » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Shahram
Site Admin

Postby Kathrine321 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:48 am

Shahram wrote:orobanche (Broomrape)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broomrape

I really like it this beautiful plant picture of iran desert .Its colour beauty and length is so nice. its a very beautiful plant and i don't believe that this beautiful plant in deserts and i appreciate to you for this beautiful selection. like it
Kathrine321

Postby ssteven » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:43 am

I must say your post is fabulous I also have visited such place where you can see plants as well. Oasis is a beautiful area there we can see various types of it is also used for vegetation in dessert. This area is surrounded by a spring or similar water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis

ssteven

Postby Irani » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Ssteven! Your post will be helpful for me. I never visit Oasis area before but after reading your post I feel it is best for Plant lover. Do you like to tell me information about it in details?
Irani

Postby ssteven » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:07 am

Sure Irani….! Oasis is an isolated area of vegetations in dessert. This is a big area that provides vegetations for animals and human beings. Mostly water reached there through Caravans, they must have to travel there. Other sources of water are natural water flows underground into forms of rivers. It comes out by the natural sources or by manmade wells. There you can enjoy photography, trekking, and you can also have cruises in this area.
ssteven

Return to Deserts of Iran