-->
-->

Kane and Narelle's Iran Trip - 2013 ( Part 2)

Helpful information about Travel Writing and Literature of Iran

Re: Kane and Narelle's Iran Trip - 2013

Postby Samaneh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Food in Iran 1

Buying and eating food in Iran is very different to the West...here is a run down...

Bazaars and corner shops verse supermarkets... The old way of going to different shops for your food shopping still rules in most parts of Iran, Supermarkets are still rare. When quizzed as to why this is the case the response was: women do the food shopping in Iran and as a result these outings are seen as also been social.

Spices and herbs...these essential flavourings are an important part of the culinary delight of all Iranian food. Buying these important ingredients is taken very seriously and women seemingly spend hours, smelling, tasting and questioning the shopkeeper about the produce. These shops are also a colour wonderland and the shop keepers do all they can to lure the client inside.

Vegetable markets (or green bazaar) ...they generally have the same fruit and veg that we have at home. There has only been one thing that we didn't know what it was and that is the green berry below.

Meat shops...have whole lambs and goats hanging in the window. Most seem to have refrigeration which is better than we have seen in some countries.

Bread stores... Bread is served with every meal in Iran. You see people walking with bread piled high from the bakery. The bakeries have wire tables out the front of their stores for people to allow their bread to cool down before putting it in the plastic bag. Although we have seen some loaves of bread, it is generally flat bread that they have.
Samaneh

Re: Kane and Narelle's Iran Trip - 2013

Postby Samaneh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Food in Iran 2

Ice cream shops... are everywhere and we could relate the product sold from these shops to the mobile 'Mr Whippy' van. A huge selection of soft serve ice cream and fruit and jelly sundaes are served for no more than $1. In more tready areas gelato bars are opening up and their product selection is gi-normous...and it's also well priced at 15c a scoop. Needless to say I have had most flavours Iran can offer! Saffron flavour is pretty good.

Breakfast... Has been pretty consistent everywhere we have been and generally consists of flat bread, various jams (carrot, sour cherry, honey), cucumber, tomato, cheese (like Danish feta). Occasionally, we might also get a hard boiled egg. Tea is standard, coffee not always easy to get and often not good, Kane is cranky these mornings!

Snacks... We've had a few snacks around the place, some date filled cookies in Yazd, walnut and cinnamon filled pastry that our taxi driver gave us on the way to Masuleh, samosas from an Afghani guy in Shiraz, sweets in Tabriz and a pizza style pastry.

Fast Food Iran Style...Kentucky House (Iranians actually call it KFC) appears to be the favourite of the common Iranian. It is like a clone of the West's KFC right down to the coleslaw and Zingar (not Zinger) burgers. Narelle and I tried the Iranian Fast Food giant and the experience although not to our taste did cost us about $4.50.

Lunch/Dinner... We've mainly been eating in traditional Iranian restaurants. The food generally isn't spicy and bread and rice are the staples. You can also get salads fairly easily. Options for lunch/dinner are generally kebab (lamb, chicken, beef, minced meat and even chicken on top of lamb), stew (Dizi which is a bean and meat stew where you drain the liquid into a soup bowl and then mash the other ingredients together before eating it with bread, lentil, pomegranate and walnut), eggplant dish served with whey and chicken with barberry. Lunch is the main meal of the day, which is generally between 2 and 3 pm. Dinner starts from 8 pm.

Picnics: along with nose jobs, Iran is the land of picnics. Iranians will stop the car and have a picnic anywhere.

Drinks... Pepsi seems to be more available than Coke, or they have their own brand called ZamZam. Tea is everywhere. You can get non-alcoholic beer in all different flavours, such as lemon, peach, tropical, mango, pomegranate, sour cherry. Some brands taste more like beer than others. They also have a popular drink called 'dough', which is like a salty sour milk drink...not one of our favourites. They had a lot of milk shakes in Yazd. Kane's new favourite is date flavour.

Ref: http://kandn-iran2013.blogspot.com.au/
Samaneh

Re: Kane and Narelle's Iran Trip - 2013 ( Part 2)

Postby Lisamia » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Dear Kane and Narelle!

At first when I read your comment I thought you might be some Iranians who try to make Iran more attractive to Western tourists. But when I saw the photos on your blog it was too authentic. :)

My boyfriend and I recently booked a flight to Iran over New Years Eve and are desperate to find some advice from people who have actually been to Iran. Most people here (Germany) are to scared to go to Iran. They tell us we are crazy. Your blog really confirms that they are all influenced by their prejudiced news paper focused minds. Have you noticed that you can't even book flights to Iran via Tripadvisor because of restrictions of the US? No wonder nobody knows about the reality in Iran, they make it difficult.

We will arrive at Tehran on the 28th of Dezember and have to leave on the 8th in the morning. That means we have ten full days. What would you recommend us? We would like to go south, to Esfahan, Shiraz and maybe Yazd. Do you think we can still visit the north and the Zagros mountains? Or is it to far to make? How long did you actually stay at each place?

Did you book all your hotels in advance, and especially the one in Sein-o-din? Can you get to Sein-o-din by public transport?

How did you feel as a couple? Did you dare to kiss, hold hands, sit next to each other on the bus? Where you allowed to visit sights together or did you have to go seperately some time?

Where did you get your money from? I read that there is no possibility to withdraw money, let alone pay by credit card. Did you exchange notes from other countries you had been to?

Besides, how do you think the weather will be? You went in April, so I guess the weather over New Years Eve will be a lot colder, too. Did you have problems with the height?

Which were your favourite places to see, sleep, eat? What can't you miss?

Is the capital worth staying?

It would be great if you could answer these questions to us! I really like the Australian attitude and I know you are really open-minded as I spend about one and a half years in your country!

Please go on writing blogs!!!And have fun travelling!

Best wishes

Lisa
Lisamia

Previous

Return to Travel Writing and Literature of Iran