-->
-->

Bisitun cave

Helpful information about caves and canyons in Iran like name, introduction, maps, requirements and...

Bisitun cave

Postby goiran » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:25 am

Bisitun (Biston, bistun) is a small cave situated in the Zagros Mountains in north-western Iran. The cave has been associated with Mousterian industry of the Middle Paleolithic period as artefacts from that period have been excavated from the site.

Dibble described the lithics from the cave as Middle Paleolithic with strong Levallois components. He found no temporal changes in the Middle Paleolithic strata. Coon described two hominid remains from the site, an upper IJ and a radius shaft fragment, both from Layer F+.

Trinkaus and Bilgari described the material in detail, showing that the incisor is not a hominid IJ, but is a bovid IJ/M. According to their analysis, the radius fragment shows Neanderthal affinities, as it is mediolaterally expanded at the interosseus crest. Metrically, it is outside the range of variation of Early Anatomically Modern Humans, but in the range of Neanderthals and Early Upper Paleolithic humans.
goiran

Re: Bisitun cave

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:34 am

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Re: Bisitun cave

Postby Cherie Boyce » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:11 am

A tourist post some photos in a blog which he click when he is in Bisitun cave.
Setting in the cave and seen out side. Its amazing.

Bisitun Cave is a small cave situated in the Zagros Mountains in north-western Iran. The cave has been associated with Mousterian industry of the Middle Paleolithic period as artefacts from that period have been excavated from the site. Many traveler stayed at Bisitun Cave during the travel in history. Several historical symptom are also there. I read name of this cave in a the Alexander history book. This is one of the oldest cave in the history.
I enjoying when i go indianapolis to nyc in bus with http://www.getbusticket.com/indianapolis-to-new-york.html
I always booked my ticket in advance online.
Cherie Boyce

Return to Caves and Canyons of Iran