-->
-->

Sahand volcano

Helpful information about volcanoes in Iran like name, introduction, maps, requirements and...

Sahand volcano

Postby goiran » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:24 am

Introduction: Sahand (Persian: سهند‎, Azerbaijani: səhənd) is a massive, heavily eroded stratovolcano in northwestern Iran. At 3,707 m (12,162 ft), it is the highest mountain in the Iranian province of East Azarbaijan.

It is one of the highest mountains in Iranian Azerbaijan, in addition to being an important dormant volcano in the country. The Sahand mountains are directly south of Tabriz, the highest peak of which is Kamal at an altitude of 3,707 m.. Approximately 17 peaks can be accounted for as being over 3,000 m. in height. Due to the presence of a variety of flora and fauna, the Sahand mountains are known as the bride of mountains in Iran.

It is also the name of an Iranian Saam Class frigate sunk in Operation Praying Mantis by American forces in 1988.

-------------------------------------------------

Elevation: 3,707 m

Days of trip: 3-4 Day from Tehran to Tehran (Without heavy traffic you need 8-10 hr driving from Tehran to start point and 2-3 days for climbing)
Attention: In holidays there is heavy traffic in all roads around Tehran.

Best time to visit: Jul to Sept

Daily time visit: No limit

Difficulty level: Difficult

Requirements: (Depend on your plan) Guide or GPS track, water, food, warm and waterproof clothes and tent, waterproof shoes, headlamp, satellite phone and...
Also need technical mountaineering gear if decided to climb in cold weather.

Legal permission need: No

Overall risk: High altitude, storm

Animal risk: Yes

Lost risk: Yes

Rescue: Yes, you can call 115 but maybe take a long time to find you. There is no road.

GSM Mobile Antenna: No

Hotel: No

Village: No

Shop: No

Gasoline: No

How to get there:
1- Go to west terminal of buses in Tehran (more info)
2- Take a bus ticket to Tabriz or Maraghe
3- Take a 4wd vehicle to the base camp
4- Start mountaineering

Nearest airport: Tabriz airport

Nearest train station: Tabriz and Maraghe station

Location on map:

GPS elevation profile:

Pictures:
goiran

Re: Sahand volcano

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Postby Barbara J. Stephens » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:19 am

Its looking so terrible and very dangerous.In which season it comes in Sahand.I really terrible of that type of volcanoes .But i,m a tourist and also love photography and i want to capturing it.Its a real anger of nature and great attitude.I like it so much.Nice sharing about it.
Have you ever been travel to new york knoxville in bus http://www.getbusticket.com/new-york-ny-to-knoxville-tn.html with this bus service?
Barbara J. Stephens

Sahand

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:53 am

Sahand mountains, is in the south of Tabriz city, north of Maragheh and the east of Urmia lake. This mountain is one of the tallest mountains in Azerbaijan and the main off volcanic mountains of Iran which considerable height of that is related to ash and volcanic material that in the past times poured out of the mountains. Sahand, because of plants and flowers and grass and pasture, called Iranian mountains brides because the mountainous region covered with plants, grass, flowers and pasture. Sahand in spring is unique garden.
Sahand has 17 peaks over 3,000 m which tallest one called Ghoch Goli mountain (Kamal), 3707 meters high.
Other famous peaks include: Jam, Sahand, Sultan, Demirel, Agh mountain, Motal mountain, Shir mountain, Haram mountain, Gyro mountain and ...

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Postby Herrim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:34 am

Goiran! Your post is very instructive. I never ever visited but I heard about it. The Sahand is the uppermost mountains in Iranian Azerbaijan. It is also known as Kuh-e-Sahand. After reading your post I acquire further detail about it. I checked your shared link that is also extremely helpful.
Herrim

Return to Volcanoes of Iran