-->
-->

Carrying money

More information about Iran.

Carrying money

Postby Gotravel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 am

Iranians can not use major credit cards due to U.S. sanctions, so bring enough hard currency for the duration of your stay. US dollars and euros are the most useful, and new and large (US$100 or €100 or higher) bills in good condition are preferred and usually get a better rate. Trade embargoes mean that banks will not forward cash advances on your foreign credit cards and they are only accepted by select stores for large purchases, such as Persian rugs. Most will be happy to forward you some cash on your credit card at the same time as your purchase. If you are desperate for cash, you can also try asking these shops to extend you the same favour without buying a rug or souvenir, but expect to pay dearly for the luxury.

Travellers' cheques All banks in provincial capitals are able to cash them, the paperwork is no longer needed to cash them.

There is a possibility to get a pre-paid no-name gift card from most of banks in Iran if you are concerned with carrying too much cash on you. These cards have no service fee and surcharge and you get exact amount of money you put in card. All ATM and POS terminals support Farsi and English languages. Make sure the one you get has ATM Withdrawal Feature. Ask about ATM withdrawal and POS transactions daily limit in advance. Keep your receipts and treat your gift cards like cash as in case of missing them, it is less likely to get replacement even with paperworks. Paperworks may help you to receive new password in case of forgetting it but expect bureaucracy. Cash your left over cards one business day before your departure to avoid any problem caused by Iranian interbank network SHETAB failure. Some of Persian gulf Arab countries ATM cards may work in Iranian interbank network but nothing is guaranteed.
Gotravel

Carrying money

Postby JeremyVaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:50 am

Hi,

The limit to carry out foreign currency is US10,000 per person.

Has anyone got any experience of carrying out more than this?

I would like to carry out about 25,000USD in GBP to go back to England. This is my Kindy salary so I havent paid any taxes on this. I dont want the customs officials to seize it so I will need to declare it. Will the customs officials start asking about where I got this money from?

If anyone has any experiences it would be greatful.

Thanks
JeremyVaw

Return to More about Iran