-->
-->

Saint Stepanos Monastery-Church of Saint Stephanos

Helpful information about mosques and churches in Iran like name, introduction, maps, requirements and...

Saint Stepanos Monastery-Church of Saint Stephanos

Postby Azam » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Introduction: The St. Stepanos Monastery (Armenian: Սուրբ Ստեփանոս վանք; Maghardavank Մաղարդավանք) (Persian:کلیسای سنت استپانوس )
is an Armenian monastery about 15 km northwest of Jolfa city, East Azarbaijan Province northeast Iran. It is situated in a deep canyon along the Arax river on the Iranian side of the border between Azerbaijan and Iran. It was built in the 9th century and rebuilt in the Safavid era after several earthquakes damaged it.

-------------------------------------------------


Location: Jolfa, east Azarbaijan

Days of trip: (Without air plane) 3 Days from Tehran to Tehran (Without heavy traffic you need About 12-14 hr driving from Tehran to Jolfa)
Attention: In holidays there is heavy traffic in all roads around Tehran.

Best time to visit: No limit, but spring is b best time.

Daily time visit: No permission at night

Difficulty level: Easy

Requirements: (Depend on your plan) Guide or GPS track, water, food, warm and waterproof clothes and tent

Legal permission need: No


-------------------------------------------------


Overall risk: -

Animal risk: No

Lost risk: No

Rescue: Yes, you can call 115

GSM Mobile Antenna: Yes


-------------------------------------------------


Hotel: Yes

Shop: Yes

Gasoline: Yes

Village: Located near Jolfa city


-------------------------------------------------


How to get there:
1- Go to west terminal of buses in Tehran (more info), Also you can use train.
2- Take a bus ticket to Tabriz or Jolfa.(Distance from Tehran to Jolfa is 765 Km)
3- Take a taxi to the monastery


Nearest airport: Tabriz airport

Nearest train station: Jolfa station


-------------------------------------------------


Location on map:




Pictures:
Image Image Image


[bRead more:[/b] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imam_Mosque_Isfahan
Azam
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:36 am
Location: Tehran - Iran
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Saint Stepanos Monastery

Postby Parvaneh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:13 am

The Church of Saint Stephanos located in East Azerbaijan was built in the 9th century and is among a handful of magnificent churches in Iran. The Church's architectural style is a mixture of Urartan, Parthian, Greek, and Roman styles. With respect to the history of the construction of this building, which is considered one of the architectural masterpieces of north-western Iran, there are a number of differing views. However, historic evidence, the type of construction, the building materials, the ornamentation, the philosophy behind the ornamentation, and the circumstances that allowed for the creation of this Church all attest to the fact that it was constructed during the tenth to twelfth centuries AD. The Church is located in the abandoned village of Dare Sham. Prior to 1971 it was accessible only by a dirt path, however, a road was constructed providing access by automobile.


Passing through an increasingly hilly terrain approaching a mountain, the dome of the entranceway to the Church of Saint Stephanos becomes visible. The dome of the entrance building has a width of four meters at its base, while the grounds are covered by a variety of trees. A large pool exists on the site with a clear, clean spring flowing to it. The fortifications for the monastery and Church are located to the east of the site and consist of a tall rampart with seven watchtowers and five cylindrical buttresses. The watchtower on the south-western corner has crumbled, but the other portions of the fortification have remained relatively sound. The gateway to this rampart is situated in the center of the western wall. It has a width of approximately one and a half meters, and a height of roughly two and a half meters. The door itself is made of wood, with wrought iron details, much in the style of fortress gates in the Safavid and Qajar eras. The pillars, and the dome above the gate are all constructed of red limestone and bear extensive masonry, and sculpting. A stone relief of the Virgin Mary and the Infant Jesus is sculpted in the dome's vault. This gateway opens on to a dark passageway that leads on the south to the monastery, on the north to the Church.


Once inside, one must pass through a narrow corridor, climb a few steps, and enter the Church's courtyard. The Church is constructed entirely of stone, and consists of three distinct parts: the belfry, the Church proper, and Daniel's furnace. The Church proper has a height of an average three story building with remarkable samples of masonry, sculpting and decorative work both in the interior and exterior of the building. Remarkable stone relief of the disciples, saints, and angels have been sculpted on the faces of the sixteen-sided prismatic structure, which is considered the impost for the tower of the Church.


The interior of the shrine is laid out as a basilica and consists of three components: arcade, apse and altar. The balcony to the arcade is situated upon two stone demi-columns. The altar is located on the eastern side of the shrine with its base and surface made of marble.


There are a number of interesting objects within the shrine of which two inlaid chairs, three images of Mary and Jesus, a brass reliquary, and four bibles stand out. The chairs are from the Safavid period, the paintings resemble those from the 17th and 18th centuries, the bones within the gilded reliquary are said to be those of Saint Gregory, and the oldest bibles date, according to Sarkis Misaghian, from the 17th century.


Daniel's furnace is a hall connected to the Church's northern wall. It is divided into three parts: the furnace, a congregation space, and a baptismal fountain. The furnace is separated by a wall from the congregation hall which is located in the center of the space. The baptismal urn is situated in the eastern extremity of the hall and stands in the middle of a high platform. The furnace is named after Saint Daniel, who was born in Syria in the year 410. The bell tower is located on a two storied balcony that is connected to the Church's southern wall. This tower is octagonal in shape, and stands on eight cylindrical columns, all of which are of the same red stone as the Church.


In 2005, a team of Iran's Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization (ICHTO) who were studying documents from Iranian churches for international registration, discovered some bones in a box in the Church. It is believed that the box consists of remains of John, the Baptist. Jean Baptiste Tavernier, a French traveler, recalls he saw the box when he was passing Saint Stephanos Church in 16th-early 17th century where he was told that the box belonged to one of the 12 Apostles of Christ.

http://historicaliran.blogspot.com.ar/s ... results=50


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


http://www.tebyan.net
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Saint Stepanos Monastery-Church of Saint Stephanos

Postby Parvaneh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 am

The church of Saint Stephanos is among a handful of magnificent churches that were built between the tenth and twelfth centuries, AD The church's architectural style is a mixture of Urartan, Parthian, Greek, and Roman styles that came to be known as Armenian subsequent to the construction of the fantastic structures of Echmiadzin, Thaddeus, Akhtmar, and indeed Stephanos. With respect to the history of the construction of this building, which is considered one of the architectural masterpieces of north-western Iran, there are a number of differing views. Some maintain, regardless historical events or the evolution of architectural styles, that this structure dates from the first century of Christianity. Others, such as Tavernier, hold that the church dates from the middle of the Safavid era. However, historic evidence, the type of construction, the building materials, the ornamentation, the philosophy behind the ornamentation, and the circumstances that allowed for the creation of this church all attest to the fact that it was constructed in the same manner and during the same period as Akhtmar and Thaddeus; that is to say, during the tenth to twelfth centuries AD. This church, which has found its place in the hearts of Christians throughout the world and is visited annually by hundreds of Iranian and foreign tourists, is located in the abandoned village of Dare Sham, in the Gechlart district, situated in the Poldasht section of Maku. Prior to 1971 it was accessible only by dirt path, however, at that time a road was constructed providing access by automobile.

On the approach to this church, at a distance of three kilometers from Julfa, one encounters the ruins of a caravansary, that was built during the reign of Shah Abbas, the Safavid king, at the expense of Khajeh Nazar Armani, a favorite in the royal court. This man was among the Armenians who immigrated to Isfahan during Shah Abbas' reign, where he enjoyed a great deal of success, receiving the favor of the Shah, and amassed considerable wealth and fortune. With the Shah's permission, he built a sizeable caravansary of brick and stone on the ruins of his birthplace so that travelers who crossed the Aras river into Iran, could rest before proceeding the following morning to Sojia, or what is now called the village of Shoja. From the proximity of this caravansary, the old bridge of Julfa is visible in the distance. According to Hamdullah Mostofi, this bridge was constructed by Zia-ul Mulk Nakhjavani. Even today, the pillars in the Aras river resemble individuals who have thrown themselves into the water from fear of the enemy, and in that terrified state, are looking back in fear over their shoulders. Tavernier recounts that this bridge was destroyed by Shah Abbas during his wars against the Ottomans, at the same time as the destruction of Julfa. The ruins of the historic town of Julfa are visible from the western side of the bridge, and the cemetery still remains on the northern banks of the river. Hundreds of tall gravestones stand one after the other in orderly rows. Armenians tell a story about this cemetery, saying that these are martyrs in the path of Christianity. They are mistaken, however, since this is the old cemetery of Julfa, and the bodies of the dead have been buried here over prolonged periods, with a tall tombstone erected at the head of each grave.


Church of Saint Stephanos Slightly to the west, in the foothills on the southern shore of the Aras, a small shrine can be discerned. It is called the Nakheirchi church. In Azari Turkish Nakheir signifies a heard of cattle, and Nakheirchi consequently means a cattle herder. Sarkis, the aged caretaker of St. Stephanos recounts: "I heard from my parents that a cattle herder built this chapel so that shepherds and cattle herders, while tending their animals outside the confines of the village, would not be deprived of the blessing of prayer within a church.

This chapel is located within a walled area, is cylindrical in shape, and is topped by a conical roof. The walls and indeed the entire structure are built of stone fragments. A sister chapel also exists on the northern side of the Aras, bearing testimony to the fact that the chapels were constructed during a period when the same government controlled the territory on both sides of the river.

From this point on, the road passes through increasingly hilly terrain until it approaches a mountain, at which point the road inclines southwards, and after another two kilometers, the dome of the entranceway to the church of St. Stephanos becomes visible amid a green and verdant valley. The dome of the entrance building has a width of four meters at its base, while the grounds are covered by a variety of trees. A large pool exists on the site, and there is a wooded hill to the south of the pool within which stands an old millstone. A clear, clean spring flows at the base of the mill and to the pond.

The fortifications for the monastery and church are located to the east of the site and consist of a tall rampart with seven watchtowers and five cylindrical buttresses, similar to the fortified strongholds from the Sassanid era or from the first centuries of Islam; of which numerous examples exist throughout Azarbaijan. The watchtower on the south-western corner has crumbled, but the other portions of the fortification have remained relatively sound. While deterioration is apparent on the upper portions of the wall, it is not significant enough to pose a threat to the overall solidity and integrity of the wall. The gateway to this rampart is situated in the center of the western wall. It has a width of approximately one and a half meters, and a height of roughly two and a half meters. The door itself is made of wood, with wrought iron details, much in the style of fortress gates in the Safavid and Qajar eras. The pillars, and the dome above the gate are all constructed of red limestone. and bear extensive masonry, and sculpting. A portion of the stones above the dome have crumbled. However, the dome itself and the areas below it are intact. A stone relief of the Virgin Mary and the Infant Jesus, remarkable in its design and beauty, is sculpted in the dome's vault. This gateway opens on to a dark passageway that leads on the south to the monastery, on the north to the church, and to the west to the stables; all three of which are elevated slightly higher than the passageway.


Door of Saint Stephanos Church In order to arrive at the church, one must pass through a narrow corridor, climb a few steps, and enter the church's courtyard. The church is constructed entirely of stone, and consists of three distinct parts: the belfry, the church proper, and Daniel's furnace. The church proper is constructed upon land with dimensions of 16 by 21 meters, and has a height of an average three story building. The masonry and sculpting of the pillars, vaults, arches, and columns; the ornamentation and murals on the arches and vaults are so novel, so well executed and wonderful that the inlay work on the door pales in comparison.

The beautiful murals on the dome and the relief works above and below it are crafted with a precision that must place this work among the few artistic marvels of the world. Not limited to the domes, the murals, and the ornamentation of the vaults and arches at the entry, this beautiful artistry extends to all the arches and vaults of the western walls, to the pillars, columns and capitals, and to the decorative work both in the interior and exterior of the building.

This same artistry and exuberance is also evident in the captivating designs of the church's other walls as well. Remarkable stone relief of the disciples, saints, and angels have been sculpted on the faces of this sixteen-sided prismatic structure, which is considered the impost for the tower of the church. This tower is covered by an umbrella-like thirty-two sided pyramid that has been placed upon a foundation resembling a sixteen- sided star.

Doing justice to the captivating and wonderful design of this tower and prism, the relief, carvings, and structures and the overall effect that is produced, is, without doubt or exaggeration, beyond the ability of an ordinary observer. On both sides of each of the structure's sixteen facets, on a narrow and well-proportioned base, three slender half columns ascend vertically, and at a height of roughly one meter intertwine with another column to form a wonderful, twisted pilaster. The interior of the shrine is laid out as a basilica and consists of three components: arcade, apse and altar. The balcony to the arcade is situated upon two stone demi-columns.


Ceiling of Saint Stephanos Church The oratory is located beneath an umbrella-like dome, the pillars of which bear inlay work and unexceptional painting that is slightly reminiscent of religious paintings of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The altar is located on the eastern side of the shrine and rises some 96 centimeters above ground level. The base and the surface of the altar are made of marble, and the upper portions of the base are decorated with zigzagged bays, two stories in height. The inlay work on the pillars to the umbrella dome and the paintings on the dome are truly marvelous, and notable for their ornamentation and stonework. They are executed, like the best Iranian artwork, with a delicacy and an attention to detail, to the proportions and symmetries employed, and in keeping with artistic principles. Three individual oratories exist, each of which contains a well-designed and well-proportioned dome of approximately 3 meters in height, with a prismatic cap, seated upon four slender columns. These oratories are symmetrically positioned with the main oratory in the center, and the lesser oratories to the north and south of the main oratory. The oratories are square in shape and rise 30 centimeters above the ground.

There are a number of interesting objects within the shrine of which two inlaid chairs, three images of Mary and Jesus, a brass reliquary, and four bibles stand out. The chairs are from the Safavid period, the paintings resemble those from the 17th and 18th centuries, the bones within the gilded reliquary are said to be those of Saint Gregory, and the oldest bibles date, according to Sarkis Misaghian, from the 17th century.

Daniel's furnace is a hall connected to the church's northern wall, with a width of 6 meters and a length of 20 meters. It is divided into three parts: the furnace, a congregation space, and a baptismal fountain. The furnace is separated by a wall from the congregation hall which is located in the center of the space. The baptismal urn is situated in the eastern extremity of the hall and stands in the middle of a high platform. It should be noted that this furnace is not, in fact, named after the prophet Daniel of the Old Testament, but rather, is named after Saint Daniel, who was born in Syria in the year 410, and after eighty years of devotion and asceticism, died in Sunisat, a village on the shores of Terat. The belfry is located on a two storied balcony that is connected to the church's southern wall. This tower is octagonal in shape, and stands on eight cylindrical columns, all of which are of the same red stone as the church and with exceptionally well designed capitals. The arches between the columns, or what might be considered the arcade of the tower, are ornamented with relief of angels, crosses, floral patterns, stars, and eight-petal flowers. This tower was rebuilt, and renovated under Nayeb ul Saltaneh.

http://iranchamber.com/architecture/art ... church.php


Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Saint Stepanos Monastery-Church of Saint Stephanos

Postby Parvaneh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:18 am

Image

Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Church of St Stephanos

Postby Parvaneh » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:33 am

Stephanos among the Christian symbols of faith and he called Nakhvtka have Stephen or Astpatvs first was due to prejudice and resentment of Jews stoning and martyrdom , the incident on December 26 in 37 AD in Jerusalem happened and it Christians around the world every year since the day he was called up to the ceremony .
Church of St Stephanos at 26 km West Julfa Aras local village name Salmon Wang ( monastery red ) in Nrdyktryn Valley Village Supper is located, formerly the Highland Malraux , and from 1350 the car door made ​​because the range of mountains Maqarat were the words of Saint Stephanos Maqarat also refers.
Saint Stephanos church is located in a castle built on a collection of sacred buildings in the fort Stephanos Wang Wang Maqarat say, the Armenian community Vang·hay Tllab Wang , like many other writers, philosophers and historians and scientists calligrapher Vtzhyb Karan was Wang Stephanos of two terms are important for the Armenian church famous for their style and cultural dimension of religious and cultural centers of many Armenians and calligrapher calligrapher Wang in together and began writing books , artists and athletes refine their art of beauty
The exact date of the founding of the Church of St Stephanos is not completely understood , researchers speculate the seventh to ninth centuries AD, the church is built .
The oldest document about the year 649 AD, which is long in the knowledge that , in the reign Shvt Bagradvny king of Armenia , Katalykvs Khachik religious leader of Armenians in the year 266 ( AD - BC ) with 976 deaths Archbishop balcony she lived in Saint Stephanos Wang led the king 's expense church built in the area . Hakvp Jvqatysy the years 1633 to 1655 / 1043 to 1066 Stephanos Wang was the pope in 1643 AD / 1053 AH - AH reconstruction and restoration of the church began in 1655/1066 AH - AH ended .
Subsequent restoration of the church between the years 1682/1094 to 1691/1102 took place on the fourth stage of church rebuilt by Abbas Mirza in 1826/1243 was carried out .
Abbas Mirza in the year 1246 AH - AH / 1830 AD Valley Village dinner amounted to one hundred dollars of Mohebali Nakhjivani purchase and dedicate Wang said Stephanos , an inscription in hieroglyphics on limestone to the occasion with its red rocks of monument church , the church has been installed at the entrance .
The church is located in a lush area , the building is cylindrical and cone-shaped dome covers it .
The original church building has three parts :
1 ) 16 sided dome of the church courtyard .
2 ) bell tower .
3 ) Daniel oven .
16- dome church courtyard side
Courtyard church or prayer house during the 90/13 W 80/12 meters, roughly in the middle of the main area of the church with the entry on the west side is located in the entrance with wooden door is very beautiful , with a door on South axis is of dimension 5 / 1 * 5/2 meters , from the early works of the Qajar inlaid doors , the door surface is decorated with inlaid Mykhkvbyhay metal parts around Mogharnas a vault door that is unique in its kind , inscription in Persianengineer input Hacoupian Tips cited
Almighty God, in His mercy and will of the western facade of the Church of Saint Stephanos Qamal Nakhjivani by his wife Mary and his mother , Lady Flower Memorial Service was founded in 1704 .
Dome of 16 polygons church roof, central cross represents and the eastern part of the cross, the altar, the church , the altar in the east of the temple is located 96 cm from the floor Nmazgah louder and the eastern part of the cross at the head of the cross, the church altar is floor covering up the marble steps of the altar .
to light candles on it used to be .
flower ornament has eight .

According to Mr. Hacoupian the wants and most of them have not read the top of the west wall of the vault Mogharnas and above all the big shots wide chain ornament is beautiful .
In the central part of the church 's exterior walls of different designs out there that follows the philosophy of design and architects everywhere have attempted Genesis Christ Outreach , the sacrifice of Christ , the work and effort he and his friends Janbazyhay to embody the .
An example of wooden architecture masterpieces of the great library of the church has had in place

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Saint Stepanos Monastery-Church of Saint Stephanos

Postby Parvaneh » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:06 am

It is situated 16 kilometers west of the city of Jolfa, and 3 kilometers south of the frontier river of Aras in a region named “Qazal Vaank”. It is the second important church of the Iranian Armenians. It has been constructed in 9th Century AD and has been renovated during the rule of Safavid Dynasty. It maintains seven watchtowers, a roofed and covered section, a monastery, a sheepcote, fodder storage, and a bell tower. This church is respected by all Christians and nearly all religions. But, in fact it belongs to Gregorian Christians, who reside in Armenia. On a particular day, every year, thousands of Armenians gather in this region to pay their pilgrimage. The name of the Church originates from the name of a well-known Christian figure, which lived in the 1st Century AD. This church was registered as one of Iran’s national historical monuments on March 5, 1963.

english.irib.ir/
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times


Return to Mosques and Churches of Iran

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron