-->
-->

Vank Cathedral-Isfahan-Holy Savior Cathedral-Surp Amenaprgich Vank-Kelisa-ye Vank-Kelisa-e-Vank)

Helpful information about mosques and churches in Iran like name, introduction, maps, requirements and...

Vank Cathedral-Isfahan-Holy Savior Cathedral-Surp Amenaprgich Vank-Kelisa-ye Vank-Kelisa-e-Vank)

Postby golnaz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Introduction: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan-Holy Savior Cathedral-Surp Amenaprgich Vank-Kelisa-ye Vank-Kelisa-e-Vank)(Persian: کلیسای وانک or آمنا پرکیج)

“Holy Savior Cathedral” also known as “Vank Cathedral” and “The Church of the Saintly Sisters”, is a cathedral in Isfahan, Iran. It was one of the first churches to be established in the city's Jolfa district by Armenian deportees settled by Shah Abbas I after the Ottoman War of 1603-1605. The varying fortunes and independence of this suburb across the Zayandeh rood and its eclectic mix of European missionaries, mercenaries and travelers can be traced almost chronologically in the cathedral's combination of building styles and contrasts in its external and internal architectural treatment. Construction is believed to have begun in 1606, and completed with major alterations to design between 1655 and 1664. The interior is covered with fine paintings and gilded carvings and includes a wainscot of rich tile work. Across the courtyard and facing the cathedral is a building housing a library and museum.


-------------------------------------------------


Location: Isfahan

Days of trip: (Without air plane) 2 Days from Tehran to Tehran (Without heavy traffic you need About 6 hr driving from Tehran to Isfahan)
Attention: In holidays there is heavy traffic in all roads around Tehran.

Best time to visit: No limit, but spring is b best time.

Daily time visit: No permission at night

Difficulty level: Easy

Requirements: (Depend on your plan) Guide or GPS track, water, food, warm and waterproof clothes and tent

Legal permission need: No


-------------------------------------------------


Overall risk: -

Animal risk: No

Lost risk: No

Rescue: Yes, you can call 115

GSM Mobile Antenna: Yes


-------------------------------------------------


Hotel: Yes

Shop: Yes

Gasoline: Yes

Village: Located in Isfahan city


-------------------------------------------------


How to get there:
1- Go to Baihaghi terminal of buses in Tehran (more info), Also you can use train.
2- Take a bus ticket to Isfahan.
3- Take a taxi


Nearest airport: Isfahan airport

Nearest train station: Isfahan station


-------------------------------------------------


Location on map:




Pictures:
golnaz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Following the Ottoman war of 1603-1605, Armenians began to arrive in Iran in search of a new life under the Safavid King Shah Abbas I. Shah Abbas I, who settled tens of thousands of them in the Iranian provinces south of Aras River, also relocated Armenians, who had fled from the Ottoman massacre in Nakhchivan to Iran.

Nakhchivan suffered a lot during the 14th to 18th century wars between Persia and the Ottoman Empire. The city fell under Safavid rule in the 16th century.

In 1604, when Shah Abbas I realized that the lands of Nakhchivan and its surrounding areas might fall into Ottoman hands, he decided to force the entire Muslim, Jewish and Armenian population of the city to leave their homes and move to Iran.

The Armenian immigrants settled in Isfahan, the capital of the Safavid Dynasty, and populated the city's New Jolfa district, which was named after their original homeland in today's Azerbaijan Republic.

Upon entering Iran, Armenian refugees started building churches and monasteries to continue their religious activities in their new home.

The first monastery in Jolfa was built in 1606 and included a little church called Amna Perkich, which means 'All Healing.'

The little church was later expanded and turned into the magnificently designed Vank Cathedral, which was built 50 years later under the supervision of Archbishop David.

One of the largest and most beautiful churches of Iran, the cathedral was completed in 1664. It includes a bell-tower, built in 1702, a printing press, founded by Bishop Khachatoor, a library established in 1884, and a museum opened in 1905.

The architecture of the building is a mixture of the 17th-century Safavid style with high arches and an Islamic-style dome.

The cathedral has greatly influenced the architecture and decorative treatment of many churches in Iran and the Mesopotamian region.

The main entrance of the cathedral is a large wooden door through which visitors enter the courtyard of the building.

Upon entering the courtyard, one encounters two rooms that were once used as administrative offices, which helped Armenians process their paperwork.

A large freestanding belfry stands in the cathedral courtyard and towers over the graves of Orthodox and Protestant Christians who have been buried along the wall before the entrance. Built 38 years after the main structure, the belfry leads into the nave.

On the right side of the belfry there is a large blue inscription surrounded by crucifix stones. The stones have been collected from the ruined churches of the Jolfa quarter.

On a raised area to the left, a memorial has been set up in memory of the victims of the Ottoman massacre. Every year on April 23 Armenians gather by the memorial to light candles in honor of their martyrs.

At a corner of the cathedral's courtyard, rooms and halls have been built to accommodate guests, the Isfahan archbishop and his retinue, as well as other Armenian religious authorities in Iran.

Across the courtyard and facing the cathedral is a building, which houses the Vank library and museum.

The library contains more than 700 manuscripts and hard-to-find sources on Armenian and medieval European languages and arts.

The Vank museum houses unique and priceless collections of various types of items gathered from across the Armenian world.

Built in 1871, the museum contains numerous objects related to the history of the cathedral and the Armenian community of Isfahan, including the 1606 edict of Shah Abbas I establishing New Jolfa and prohibiting interference with, or the persecution of, Armenians and their property and affairs in the district.

Exquisite Bibles are also part of the museum's dazzling collection. A seven-gram bible displayed at the museum is believed by some to be the world's smallest written text in seven languages.

Safavid costumes, tapestries, European paintings brought back by Armenian merchants, embroideries and other valuable items from the Iranian-Armenian trading heritage are also part of the museum's unique archive.

The Vank museum also houses an extensive collection of photographs, maps, and Turkish documents related to the 1915 massacre of Armenians by Ottoman kings.

Vestments, monstrances, chalices and other sacramental objects have also been displayed at the museum.

The Vank printing house is known as the first of its kind in Iran and the Middle East. The first book published at Vank was about the lives of Armenian priests and monks, a few prints of which are now kept at the Vank museum.

The early printing machine, which was built by Bishop Khachatoor, was replaced by a new one brought from Amsterdam in 1647.

Later in 1844, an Armenian resident of Jolfa brought a printing machine from Europe, which is also housed at Vank Museum.

The first book printed by the machine was the Psalms of David, which is now kept at Oxford's Bodleian Library.

The dun-colored brick exterior of the cathedral gives way to a stunning combination of Persian tiles, Byzantine gold and European-style frescos inside.

The modern and plain exterior has a striking contrast with its gloriously decorated interior.

The entrance ceiling is adorned with floral motifs and the top of the walls are covered with murals depicting events from the life of Jesus.

The interior is adorned with paintings, gilded carvings and eye-catching tilework and the pendentives bear painted images of a cherub's head surrounded by folded wings.

On the northern wall of the cathedral paintings of Judgment Day can be seen with heaven depicted above and hell below.

The bottom parts of the interior walls are covered with paintings depicting Armenians being tortured by the Ottoman Turks.

The double-layer brick dome is beautifully gilded and adorned with paintings and floral patters in its azure interior.

The paintings depict the Biblical story of the creation of the universe and man's expulsion from Eden.

Eight windows surround the dome with biblical scenes painted between them. The creation of Adam and Eve, eating the forbidden fruit and the death of Able are among the stories painted between the windows.

The narthex is also adorned with four paintings, which are surrounded with floral patterns and show tortures inflicted upon holy figures.

The birth of Jesus, the Last Supper, the crucifixion of Jesus and the Ascension of Jesus are also among the biblical stories depicted in the paintings inside the cathedral.

The paintings have been inspired by both old and new testaments and have been painted by Armenian masters and three monks, namely; Havans, Stepanus and Minas.

After the death of Shah Abbas I, his successor Shah Abbas II also paid close attention to Armenians and New Jolfa, which is located on the banks of the Zayandeh River and still houses a large part of the Iranian-Armenian community.

Iran's Armenian community grew in number as until 1933 immigrants and refugees continued to flock to Iran from the Soviet Union.

They built churches, schools and various cultural, artistic and sports centers across the country and eventually became Iran's largest Christian community.

Today, Iranian-Armenians have two seats in the Iranian Parliament (Majlis) and are the only minority with official observing status in the country's Guardian and Expediency Councils.

Armenians also publish books, journals, periodicals, and newspapers, including the daily Alik.

Source: Press TV& Iran Review

Image

Image

Image

Image


http://www.iranreview.org/file/cms/imag ... /13786.jpg
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Image

Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 am

The Vank Church is one of the most beautiful and largest churches in the Jolfa vicinity of Esfahan. Its gilded ceiling, interior section of the dome and fine historical paintings are matchless. Internally, the walls are adorned with oil paintings that are also gilded similar to that of Iranian art. Religious paintings revealing an Italian touch can be observed here. The founder of this structure was Shah Soltan Hossain Safavid.
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Vank Cathedral

Postby Parvaneh » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:25 pm

This church is located in the church alley in Eastern Nazar Street. It was originally built as a prayer hall (Amenapergich) in 1606 and then renovated and extended to its current appearance with its high double-layer dome. It received the name of Vank church in 1655. Underneath the 38-meter high dome is the prayer hall that holds a unique collection of beautiful frescos depicting stories from the Old and New Testaments. The influence of Italian and Dutch painting is quite obvious. In addition to these wall paintings there are also floral ornamentations and exquisite tile work with gild decorations.

In the Northern part of the church's courtyard there are other important memorials, namely a library (with more than 10,000 books), a monument to the Armenian martyrs (in the 1915 genocide by the Ottomans Turks) and a museum. This museum holds the oldest books printed in Esfahan by the instruction the Safavid and Ghãjãrid kings as well as many other precious objects. Armenian The ecclesiastic centre for Esfahan's and southern Iran is located in the eastern part of the church. There are 64 gravestones in the church belonging to archbishops, priests, Russian and British consuls, politicians and doctors.
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Vank Cathedral-Isfahan-Holy Savior Cathedral-Surp Amenaprgich Vank-Kelisa-ye Vank-Kelisa-e-Vank)

Postby Parvaneh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:22 am

Jolfa is one of the districts which were built in the city of Isfahan throughout the reign of Safavid Dynasty. The residents of this district were the Armenians, who had immigrated to this region from the city of Jolfa, which was located on the banks of Aras Roud River. The immigration of Armenians to Jolfa District took place in 1013 AH. This district is situated on the southern banks of Zayandehroud River and today its residents are not only Armenians. Given the presence of Armenians in the city of Isfahan, we are witness to construction of numerous churches in this city; some of which are more important than others. The existence of these churches is rooted in the Islamic teachings which call for respecting divine religions and religious minorities.

Vank Church is the most beautiful church of Jolfa District which was constructed during the rule of Safavid King, Shah Abbas the Second. It has a huge dome, tall walls, and beautiful shelves. The church’s courtyard is in the shape of a parallelogram with two square-shaped corners; one of which is a roofed area, and the other is for performance of religious carols. Parts of the courtyard’s walls are covered with multicolored tiles. On the upper section of the walls, there are beautiful pictures inspired by holy books. Around the church’s dome, the story of creation of Adam and Eve have been depicted and painted by Armenian artists. Throughout the altar of the church, pictures of Prophet Jesus have also been painted. The façade of the church’s dome has been covered with simple bricks.

Vank Church has two entrance gates, the main one of which is a large wooden gate through which people commute. Passing through a corridor we reach the stairway, on the right hand side of which is the church’s bell tower. This beautiful and large tower is based on four stone pillars. In the courtyard of this church, a number of famous archbishops and political representatives of European countries, who have passed away in Isfahan, have been laid to rest. The courtyard of this church also houses other buildings such as the museum, print house, and library. The museum of Vank Church maintains numerous halls, in which highly valuable artistic works and items are kept, including very pretty paintings and numerous Bibles. One of these Bibles is in seven languages and weights only seven grams, which is among the smallest Bibles of the world. Overall, the beauty of this church manifests the delicacy of the spirit of Isfahani-Armenian artists.

http://english.irib.ir/


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Parvaneh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4429
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times


Return to Mosques and Churches of Iran

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron