-->
-->

Ali Shah Mosque-Tabriz Citadel mosque-Alishah-Masjed e Arg-Masjid-i Alishah-Arg-e Tabriz

Helpful information about mosques and churches in Iran like name, introduction, maps, requirements and...

Ali Shah Mosque-Tabriz Citadel mosque-Alishah-Masjed e Arg-Masjid-i Alishah-Arg-e Tabriz

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Introduction: Ali Shah Mosque (Persian: مسجد علی شاه)

Variant Names Ali Shah Mosque, Masjid-i Jami'-i Tabriz, Old Friday Mosque of Tabriz, Mosque of Ali Shah, Masjid-i Alishah, Masjid-e Jame, Masjid-i Jami' of Tabriz, Masjid-i 'Ali Shah Jilan Tabrizi, Arg-e Tabriz, Citadel, Jami of 'Ali Shah, Masjid-i Jami'-i 'Atiq-i
Street Address Off Imam Khomeini Street
Location Tabriz, Iran
Client Ali Shah Jilan Tabrizi
Date 1310-20/709-19 AH
Style/Period Il-Khanid
Century 14
Building Types educational, religious, religious
Building Usage madrasa, mosque, khanqah

Although today it is only partially extant, the Ali Shah Mosque is believed to have been the largest brick structure ever built. It was built in the Il-Khanid period by Ali Shah, the Iranian vizier during the reign of Oljeitu and Abu Sa'id. Ali Shah was not only its patron, but may also have been the designer of its plan.

The Ali Shah Mosque can be considered a courtyard mosque and is believed to have had a traditional layout, organized around four iwans. Uniquely, rather than having an additional domed structure to serve as the mosque building, the mihrab is housed in a proportionately majestic iwan, removing the need for a separate mosque structure.

Oriented towards qibla, the Ali Shah Mosque was organized around a marble paved rectangular courtyard that was 286 meters wide by 229 meters long. Entered through the pishtaq centered on the northern wall, it had an iwan at the centre of the west and east sides and the large iwan at the centre of the southernmost wall, towards the qibla. The mihrab, visible at the centre of the only extant qibla wall, is articulated by three relieving arches above it. On either side of the mihrab are two windows with sills located very high above ground level.

At the centre of the courtyard was a square pool with a square raised platform at its centre containing an octagonal fountain with jets and four lions sprouting water from their mouths in each direction. The walls of the courtyard were articulated with a stone-vaulted arcade of alabaster columns. Trees were organized in plots at each of the four corners surrounding the square pool.

In keeping with the grandiose scale of the few examples of Mongol architecture in Persia, the walls were massive brick structures. They were plain, articulated only by the curved corners of the qibla wall and the rounded bastion behind the mihrab recess which are partially still extant. The iwan vault was 30.5 meters wide and 48 meters deep with a total distance between the portal and the mihrab of 65.5 meters. The total height of the vault is said to have been over 45.7 meters and sprang from about 24 meters from the ground. Unfortunately, the vault of the huge iwan collapsed soon after it was built. Two minarets are also said to have risen from the same base of 24 meters up further 35.4 meters, for a total height above floor of approximately 61 meters. Attached to either side of the iwan walls were also a madrasa and a khanqah. These may have provided the funds necessary to sustain the mosque. Little is known about these two structures, as both have completely collapsed.

The Masjid-i-Jami of Ali Shah was later used as a citadel, perhaps because of its massive walls, and is thus locally known as the Arg (fortress). Most recently, the Arg has been used as an open air cinema.

Sources: http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-si ... e_id=11163

-------------------------------------------------

Walking path length: -

Days of trip: 2-3 Days from Tehran to Tehran (Without heavy traffic you need about 8 hr driving from Tehran to Tabriz)
Attention: In holidays there is heavy traffic in all roads around Tehran.

Best time to visit: No Limit But Spring and Summer is the best time.

Daily time visit: No limit

Difficulty level: Easy

Requirements: Guide or GPS track, water, food, warm and waterproof clothes and...

Legal permission need: No

Overall risk: -

Animal risk: No

Lost risk: No

Rescue: Yes, you can call 115

GSM Mobile Antenna: Yes

Hotel: Yes

Village: Located in Tabriz city

Shop: Yes

Gasoline: Yes

How to get there:
1- Go to west terminal of buses in Tehran (more info)
2- Take a bus to Tabriz (Also can use train or airplane)( Distance from Tehran to Tabriz is 620 km)
3- Take a taxi to Ali Shah Mosque.

Nearest airport: Tabriz airport

Nearest train station: Tabriz station

Location on map:

Pictures:

[Image

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Re: Ali Shah Mosque

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Ark or Citadel of Tabriz
Ark-e Tabriz in Persian (also called Masjid-e Alishah, Arg-e Alishah) is the impressive remainder of a great and imposing building in the town. The Arg, a huge and crumbling brick citadel, is a notable landmark that was built in the early 14th century on the site of a massive mosque which collapsed over 500 years ago, and which must been one of the largest ever constructed.

Inside the Citadel there is nothing except two arches and an indication of the position of the mehrab; Ali Shah's court has been covered with ignoble buildings, the sanctuary walls have been rebuilt and propped up, and it is hard to believe that any part of this place was ever a mosque.

http://iranchamber.com/cities/tabriz/ta ... xbLSD.dpuf

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Tabriz Citadel mosque-Arg of Tabriz

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:42 am

Period: patriarch
Location: Imam St, Ferdowsi Avenue intersection, near Tabriz Mosalla
Alisha citadel, one of the most vast and important buildings left from Aljativ period wich was built by Taj-al-Din Alisha Jilan Tabrizi during 8 years between the years 1295 to 1303.Alisha citadel, during the history had some applications. However, now only a part of the great wall and very high sanctuary of south nave mosque remaines, which indicating the glory and prosperity of the past. The walls, in fact constituted a large circular and portico arches were carring roof and the space produce used as a prayer hall and was the main of Ali Shah mosque. Tabriz citadel and its ancient sites have been recorded on the national heritage in 1931
Parvaneh
Site Admin

Alishah Mosque

Postby Parvaneh » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:05 am

Alishah Mosque is also a historical monument of the city of Tabriz, which dates back to the era of rule of Ilkhanid Dynasty. It is a symbol of the city of Tabriz. It was built during the rule of Ghazan Khan, while its dome and walls were flattened in the wake of an earthquake. At a time, a glorious music and opera hall was built adjacent to it, which was similar to the music hall of Russia’s Saint Petersburg. Currently, the city of Tabriz prayer grounds (Mosala) is located next to this mosque. The major resistance of this mosque in the face of incidents such as destructive quakes has surprised architects. This mosque is in itself a masterpiece in architecture. Its construction techniques, precise calculations, and tall tower are signs of an architectural feat for the students of architecture. This mosque’s architecture later on laid the foundation for the emerging Islamic architecture in all regions of Iran.

http://english.irib.ir
Parvaneh
Site Admin

Return to Mosques and Churches of Iran