-->
-->

Jame Mosque of Shiraz (Masjed-e Atiq)

Helpful information about mosques and churches in Iran like name, introduction, maps, requirements and...

Jame Mosque of Shiraz (Masjed-e Atiq)

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:53 am

Introduction:Friday Mosque of Shiraz (Persian: مسجد جامع شیراز )

Variant Names Friday Mosque of Shiraz, Masjid-i 'Atiq-i, Masjid-e Jame, Congregational Mosque, Bayt al-Mushaf, Masjid-i Jami', Masjid-i Atik, Jame' Atigh Mosque, Masjed-e Atiq, Jame' Atigh, Jameh-ye Atigh, Old Mosque of Shiraz, Khuda Khaneh, Huda Khana, Huda Khane, Bayt al-Mashaf, Beit al-Moshaf, Mushafkhana, Masjid-i Jami': Khuda Khaneh
Location Shiraz, Iran
Date 894/280-81 AH, 1351/751-52 AH
Style/Period Inju'id, Safavid, Saffarid
Centuries 9th, 14
Building Type religious
Building Usage mosque

The Friday Mosque of Shiraz, also known as the Masjid-i Atiq, was first built in 875 during the reign of Saffarid ruler Amr b. al-Layth (878-900). It was rebuilt, restored, and expanded various times thereafter. Most of the present day structure -- a four-iwan courtyard mosque -- dates from the seventeenth century. Damaged by numerous earthquakes, it was repaired and restored extensively after 1935. The center of its courtyard is occupied by the Khuda Khane (lit. House of God). Commissioned by Inju'id ruler Mahmud Shah (1325-1336) in 1351 for the storage of Qur'ans, this small kiosk is also known as Bayt al-Mashaf (House of Qur'ans, or House of Books). Both the mosque and Khuda Khane are aligned with qibla slightly east of south.

Khuda Khane

The kiosk known as Khuda Khane consists of a rectangular core, with a loggia of three arched bays on each side, with solid circular towers projecting at the outer corners. The ensemble is raised on a marble platform. Only the towers, the platform and ruined inner walls were remaining of the original structure in the early twentieth century. It was rebuilt between 1937 and 1954 by the Archaeological Service of Iran based on the original design.

Elongated on the north-south axis, the rectangular core of the Khuda Khane contains a square hall with four central doorways, and a small vestibule to its north housing a spiral staircase for roof access. The four doorways on its exterior -- three for the square hall and one leading into the vestibule -- are flanked by engaged columns and topped with flat muqarnas crowns.

The core, which measures about five and a half by seven meters, is enveloped by two-meter wide loggias to the east, west and north. The southern loggia, which faces the mosque sanctuary, is three and a half meters wide. The twelve pointed arches of the veranda are carried on marble columns with bulbous bases and muqarnas capitals and square columns built into the corner towers. The arches of the east and west loggias are slightly wider; they are separated with rectangular panels resting on two pairs of columns at the center. A muqarnas cornice wraps around the loggia arcades and the corner towers below the flat roof.

The Khuda Khane is built of rubble masonry and clad entirely with alternating square and rectangular panels of cut stone. It is adorned with a wide tile band below the muqarnas cornice containing a white thuluth inscription on a blue background with floral arabesques. The sides of the base platform are carved in relief with floral medallions. The date of construction 1935 (752 A.H.) is seen on the southeast tower.

Sources: http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-si ... e_id=10326

-------------------------------------------------

Walking path length: No need to walking

Days of trip: 3 Days from Tehran to Tehran (Without heavy traffic you need about 12 hr driving from Tehran to Shiraz)
Attention: In holidays there is heavy traffic in all roads around Tehran.

Best time to visit: No Limit

Daily time visit: No permission

Difficulty level: Easy

Requirements: Guide or GPS track

Legal permission need: No

Overall risk: -

Animal risk: No

Lost risk: No

Rescue: Yes, you can call 115

GSM Mobile Antenna: Yes

Hotel: Yes

Village: Located in Shiraz city

Shop: Yes

Gasoline: Yes

How to get there:
1- Go to Baihaghi or south terminal of buses in Tehran (more info)
2- Take a bus to Shiraz (Also can use train or airplane)
3- Take a taxi to Friday Mosque of Shiraz( Distance from Tehran to Shiraz is 931 Km)

Nearest airport: Shiraz airport

Nearest train station: Shiraz station

Location on map:

Pictures:

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Re: Jame Mosque of Shiraz (Masjed-e Atiq)

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Postby Parvaneh » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:15 am

albert-videt.eu
Parvaneh
Site Admin

Postby ssteven » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:44 am

Jame Mosque is one of most beautiful attractions of Iran. I have been searched for it from internet. I am quite interested to visit there. Your shared information is very useful for me and others. would you like to shared some details about its nearest attractions. waiting for your useful suggestions.
ssteven

Atiq Jame' Mosque, Shiraz

Postby Parvaneh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:58 pm

This mosque was built in celebration of the conquest of Shiraz by Saffarid Amroleiss in the year 276 AH and was completed in 281 AH. It has been restored many times. The height of the building and its various nocturnal areas (Shabestans) with beautiful tile work on the ceilings, gives a unique charm to this place.
Parvaneh
Site Admin

Jameh Atiq Mosque-Jomeh Mosque

Postby Parvaneh » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:55 am

Jameh Atiq Mosque is also one of the most ancient religious sites of the city of Shiraz, which is also known as Jomeh Mosque. This mosque is located east of the Holy Shrine of Shahcheraq. This mosque was made in 281 AH concurrent with Amrolais Safari. This mosque has six gates. Within the courtyard of this mosque, a cubic building has been constructed out of plaster. The inscriptions of this building have been written throughout the rule of Shah Sheikh Abu-Isshaq Injoo.

Parvaneh
Site Admin

Return to Mosques and Churches of Iran